Shifu Lee Smith
“Master Lee” / Founder of Silver Tiger Martial Arts Academy
Brief History: Began martial arts training in early 1973 (main styles listed):
- White Dragon Gung Fu – Bak Leen Pai Temple (Pai Lum) – Chinatown/Boston, MA
- Boxing – Boston, MA
- Northern Praying Mantis / Tan Tui – Wah Lum Kung Fu – Boston, MA
- Drunken Boxing – Boston, MA
- Nan Quan (Southern Fist) – Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi – Boston, MA
- Yang Style Taijiquan – Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi – Boston, MA
- San Da (Chinese Kickboxing) – Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi – Boston, MA
- Shaolin Gung Fu – Shaolin Kung Fu & Culture Foundation – N. Providence, RI
- Shaolin Temple Overseas Headquarters – Flushing, NY
Instruction Experience (1985 to Present):
- Mission Hill Community Center – Roxbury, MA
- RTH Community Center – Mission Park – Boston, MA
- YMCA – Boston, MA
- MIT – Cambridge, MA
- Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute – Boston, MA
- Charles River Park Rec. Center – Boston, MA
- Lee Carl’s Martial Arts – Boston/Cambridge/Quincy, MA
- Universal Karate Academy – Quincy, MA
- Nick Cerio’s Karate/Kenpo – Plainville, MA
- Fire Dragon Martial Arts Academy – Boston, MA
- Silver Tiger Martial Arts Academy – Boston & Quincy, MA / East Providence & Johnston, RI
- Southern Style Champion, 6 consecutive years (retired undefeated).
- Recognized martial arts authority and current member of World Martial Arts Federation
- Invited by American European Shaolin Association to perform in 2004 International Masters Demonstration – Hoboken, NJ
- World Martial Arts Federation Hall of Fame – 2004 Chinese Martial Arts Instructor of the Year
- Students have achieved awards in empty-hand and weapon forms, as well as fighting competitions at beginner, intermediate and advance levels.
- Choreographed and performed in exhibitions for tournaments, martial art schools and various business openings.
- Performed in “First Night” New Years Eve show in Chinatown/Boston, MA
- Action choreographer for theatre productions (including liturgical and non-liturgical dance routines).
- Chinese New Year participant in martial arts exhibition in Chinatown/Boston, MA
- Tournament Judge for various martial arts schools and organizations
- Women’s self-defense program director – Boston, MA
- Featured in televised martial arts presentations – Boston, MA
- Personal trainer to martial arts instructors of various styles
- Student and Manager of Shaolin Kung Fu & Culture Foundation (North Providence, RI)
- 2011 Seminar Promoter for Shaolin Temple (Flushing, NY)
- 2014 USMAA Hall of Fame – Lifetime Achievement Award (Frederick, MD)
From my first grandmaster, the late Dr. Daniel Pai, and my first shifu, Chow Ming Lum, I have learned many things. One of the most important was “UNDERSTANDING MYSELF AND FINDING PEACE WITHIN.” I have applied this concept not only to martial arts training, but also to life as well.